This country breakfast skillet combines crispy bacon or sausage, fresh potatoes, veggies, and topped with fried eggs cooked to perfection that will have you becoming a morning person. The whole family is sure to call this their new favorite breakfast skillet meal.
Since breakfast is the most important meal of the day, you might as well do it with a bang. This loaded breakfast skillet is the best way to start the day with the entire family. The best part? It looks like it takes hours of hard work, when in reality, you can start the meal and walk away for awhile, catering to all the other chaos in your life.
Country Breakfast Skillet Ingredients
- 5 Potatoes – russet potatoes are best but any will work, try red potatoes, sweet potatoes, brown potatoes, or yellow potatoes – dice them up or shred them up
- 1 Onion – chop it up
- 3 Cloves of Garlic – mince them up
- 1-2 Bell Peppers – Green pepper, red pepper, or hot peppers chopped up
- 1 lb. Meat – Bacon, sausage, or ham cooked
- 5-8 Fresh eggs
- 1/2 Cup Cheese – optional but adds an extra “oomph”
- Salt and black pepper to taste
How to Make Country Breakfast Skillet
Warm cast iron skillet up on stove on medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon butter, oil, bacon grease, or lard and allow to heat up before adding diced potatoes.
Allow potatoes to cook about 15 minutes. The larger the potato chunks, the longer it takes to cook. Then add onion, garlic, and peppers onto crispy potatoes.
After onions have softened, add in your choice of meat.
Crack eggs on top of everything. The choice is yours on how many eggs to use. It depends on how “egg-y” you want your skillet.
Turn broiler on high and move cast-iron pan to oven. Allow to cook 4-7 minutes, depending on how done you like your eggs. Top with cheese towards the end and allow to melt.
Watch Me Cook Country Breakfast Skillet Here
This breakfast skillet recipe can easily be adaptable to fit your taste and diet. Try some of these delicious options to add some pizazz to your country kitchen.
- Use hash browns instead of diced potatoes.
- Add cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese, or any other kind.
- Throw some sausage gravy on top.
- Kick it up a notch by adding cajun seasoning.
- Use only egg whites instead of the whole egg.
- Cut some green onions up on top.
- Throw inside of a tortilla for a loaded breakfast burrito.
- Serve with a side of fresh fruit for a full, well rounded country-style breakfast.
Print Country Breakfast Skillet Recipe Here
- 1 lb. bacon or sausage (cooked)
- 5 potatoes (cubed)
- 1 onion (diced)
- 1 bell pepper (diced)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 6-8 eggs
- 1 tsp salt
- In a cast iron skillet, cook your bacon or sausage. Take out of skillet.
- Add potatoes to the skillet and cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes, or until they are starting to get soft.
- Add onion, bell pepper, garlic, and salt. Cook about another 10 minutes or until potatoes are done.
- Stir in your meat.
- Make shallow wells in the potato mixture to break your eggs into. Cook over medium heat for a few minutes, then transfer skillet to oven. Broil on high 2-3 minutes.
This recipe is so versatile. I have made it without meat before and have added in leftover veggies sitting in our fridge, and it always turns out great!
Save This Easy Breakfast Skillet for Later
Other Breakfast Recipes You Might Enjoy
This post contains affiliate links, which means I make a small commission at no extra cost to you. See my full disclosure here.