Learn how to freeze zucchini shredded for short and long-term storage. This is the best way to preserve that surplus of zucchini coming in.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I make a small commission at no extra cost to you. See my full disclosure here.
Growing your own zucchini plants is the easiest way to get zucchini. However, anyone who plants one always ends up with extra zucchini. After giving everyone you come in contact with zucchini, you can quickly see that zucchini season just keeps coming. After eating zucchini boats and sauteed zucchini slices & yellow squash for every meal, it’s time to take that fresh zucchini and preserve it for later.
- The best zucchinis to use for freezing are the large zucchini. This is a great way to make sure those giants aren’t wasted since they don’t work for fresh recipes.
- Pre-portion shredded zucchini into the amount used in your favorite zucchini recipes. For instance, chocolate zucchini bread needs 1.5 cups of zucchini so that’s what I will put into a freezer bag.
- Buy a veggie spiralizer to make zucchini noodles and freeze for later. (Freeze zoodles the same way as shredded.) These can be served with pasta sauces, like spaghetti sauce.
Zucchini. That’s it.
- Cheese grater or Food Processor with grating attachment
- Paper towels or cheese cloth
- Freezer bags or freezer-safe containers
How to Freeze Zucchini – Shredded
Follow these simple steps on how to freeze zucchini, shredded form. It’s a step-by-step guide to the freezing process.
If the zucchini is large, cut into sizes that are easier to maneuver. Scooping out the seeds should be done here too, although not completely necessary.
Grate zucchini with a cheese grater into a large bowl. If using a food processor, just put your shredding attachment on and place zucchini into it.
Place shredded zucchini on paper towel or tea towel over a strainer. Squeeze excess moisture out. (To be honest, this step can totally be skipped. I started getting lazy and stopped doing it in recent years and it’s much easier to just dump the water out of the ziploc bag after thawing out frozen shredded zucchini.)
Portion out zucchini and place in freezer bags. Place in freezer. it’s a good idea to write how many cups of zucchini are in each bag so you know later.
A mason jar is also an easy way too store small quantities.
Freezing zucchini for later use is easier than imagined!
How to Use Frozen Zucchini
Any recipe that uses shredded zucchini can use frozen zucchini. Things like quick breads or:
- Vegetable soup
- Zucchini muffins
- Zucchini bread
- Green smoothies
- Chocolate zucchini cake
- Zucchini pancakes