This homemade raw milk ice cream is the perfect recipe. It all starts with the simple ingredients of raw milk, blended with rich pastured fresh eggs, sweetened with sugar, and some vanilla extract thrown in for a creamy deliciousness with an end result that the grocery store just can’t replicate.
There is one recipe I have that literally every single person in my whole family loves. Never a complaint to be heard. In fact, cheers of joy come screaming from the kids when they see it getting made. That is this basic recipe of homemade raw milk ice cream. Now, if you only have one kid, that might not seem like a big deal. However, with a large family, it is hard to please everyone. So, when something makes every happy, it is here to stay.
Homemade raw milk ice cream is different than traditional ice cream. When made with raw milk, you get the beneficial bacteria that raw dairy provides. This raw ice cream is nutrient dense, making this a food that is normally a junk food and turning it into a healthy food! Well, almost. So enjoy it on a hot summer day or when you are stuck in the house on a February winter day.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I make a small commission at no extra cost to you. See my full disclosure here.
- Ice Cream Maker: This recipe cannot be made without an ice cream maker. You can buy an entire ice cream maker or KitchenAid and Bosch mixers both have an ice cream attachment that you can purchase.
- Raw Milk: 1 1/4 cups of raw milk. If you are looking to find a source for raw milk, check out this post to help you locate some in your area.
- Raw Cream: 2 cups of cream. Here’s how to get your heavy cream for the ice cream.
- Sweetener: 1/2 cup of either sugar or a natural sweetener like raw honey or maple syrup can be used.
- Vanilla: 2 teaspoons of homemade vanilla extract or vanilla bean.
- Eggs: 6 raw egg yolks separated from the egg whites are needed. Don’t waste the egg whites though. Save for another recipe or just scramble them up for a quick snack.
- Ice: An ice maker is really a great help in this case.
- Rock Salt: This is optional but this salt helps keep the ice cold so you don’t use as much. This can be bought at your local grocery store.
How To Make Homemade Raw Milk Ice Cream
- Pour ingredients into ice-cream maker. Alternatively, you can dump ingredients into a blender or other separate bowl and mix first before pouring into a ice cream maker bowl. However, I find that just makes more unnecessary dirty dishes.
- Sir ingredients with a wooden spoon.
- Follow directions of the ice cream machine. This will usually take about 20-30 minutes. The less time spent churning, the softer the ice cream will be.
- Transfer real ice cream to a container and freeze for a few hours to harden up.
Tips For Making Raw Ice Cream
- Start with cold ingredients. That helps speed the process up and ensures that the ice cream forms correctly.
- If you don’t have access to raw milk, this can be made with pastured cream, whole milk and conventional eggs. Just be sure to really check the source of your ingredients.
Try These Variations
This is a basic vanilla ice cream recipe. Use this as your ice cream base. There are many other homemade ice cream recipes that you can make for different flavors.
- Chocolate: Add 1/2 cup cocoa powder or cacao powder.
- Chocolate Chip: Add 1/2-1 cup of chocolate chips during the last few minutes of churn time. Personally, I think the mini chocolate chips are better.
- Strawberry: Add 1 cup pureed strawberries.
How do I store raw ice cream?
If, on the off chance you have leftover ice cream, just place in an airtight container, cover with plastic wrap if you choose, and place in the freezer.
Why is the ice cream not creamy?
While making the ice cream, it might not have froze fast enough. If you are using whole milk and whole cream, that is usually not the case because it has more fat content, which helps form smaller ice crystals.
Print the Recipe Off Here:
- 2 cups cream
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sweetener - sugar, maple syrup, or honey
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Place ingredients into an ice cream maker and whisk until smooth.
- Follow instructions according to your ice cream maker directions. This will take around 20-30 minutes.
- Serve or store in a container with a lid and place in the freezer for a few hours to harden up.
This is a basic vanilla ice cream recipe base. Feel free to add things like cocoa powder or pureed strawberries to change up the flavor.
Pour ingredients into ice-cream maker. Follow directions of the ice cream machine. This will usually take about 20-30 minutes. The less time spent churning, the softer the ice cream will be. Transfer real ice cream to a container and freeze for a few hours to harden up.
- Place ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour into an ice cream maker and follow instructions according to the ice cream maker directions. Usually this takes about 15-25 minutes.
- Serve or store in a container with a lid, and place in the freezer.