Are you one of those moms saying, “My baby hates tummy time!” Tummy time can lead to screaming and crying for many babies, it is totally normal. We still keep trying over and over again though. I have found that the sooner you start tummy time, the better. So if you are still pregnant, then you are in luck. Go ahead and start tummy time right away on day one!
However, if you are sitting here with a 3 month old in your lap because he just hates tummy time, well then, read on for some sneaky tummy time ways! If you prefer to see this is video form so you can actually see my 3.5 month old doing these, then click here.
Sneaky Tummy Time Practice
- My first way I recommend trying tummy time is to put baby face down on your lap. You can have older siblings down on the ground talking to him to distract as an added help. This way is probably my baby’s favorite way to chill out.
- Use a boppy pillow. I really wish I didn’t have to type this, but there could possibly be someone, someday, say that I didn’t warn them so here it goes: Please watch your baby while doing this so your baby does not slide down and suffocate. If you don’t have a boppy pillow, you could roll up a towel. For some reason, babies seem to like that extra support. I’m sure there is a scientific reason behind it, but I’m not the kind of person who needs to know the whys of things. However, if you are, go ahead and google it!
- Put baby in front of a mirror. Whether it is straight on the floor or on the boppy, staring into the mirror always seems to be so much fun for a baby.
- Lay your baby on your stomach while you are laying on the floor. This is a bonus for you as well because you can sneak in some ab work here! You guys can work out together! Watch out for diastasis recti though. If you aren’t sure what that is, I talk about it in my What I Wish I Knew As a First Time Mom post.
- Put your baby on your legs while you are laying on the floor and play spiderman. I still have to do this everyday with my toddlers. It is one of their most favorite things ever. Although, with the toddlers, things get a little more crazy.
- My baby doesn’t seem to enjoy this one, but that doesn’t mean that yours won’t just love it, so give it a try. Put your baby on an exercise ball and rock forward and back. Obviously, hold onto your baby well here.
My baby hates tummy time
If your baby doesn’t like tummy time, it is really not that big of a deal. Just start out with small amounts of time and slowly work your way up. It can even be for a few seconds at first. Try not to stress too much because your baby will feel that stress. If nothing seems to ever work, don’t fret too much, your baby will eventually gain the necessary strength he needs in his neck, shoulders, back, and core. Even if he doesn’t do the recommended amount of daily tummy time.
Should I let my baby cry during tummy time?
This is a personal choice you need to make. For me, I choose not to. Looking at alternative ways like mentioned above can be just as effective in training those little muscles.
Why do some babies hate tummy time?
Think about this: Do you and your husband sleep in the same position? Some people like sleeping on their stomachs, some on their side, and some on their back.
Laying on your stomach isn’t exactly a “natural” position. Plus, it’s a workout.